Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dark Eldar Arena Champion test conversion

Photobucket

I have been working all along on my Adepticon Dark Eldar army, mostly assembling basic stuff, getting used to how those minis go together, etc.  I had not done much converting, with the exception of some Kabalite warriors.

However, at this point my list has no warriors at all (subject to change, of course!).  It does have a lot of Reaver Jetbikes.  A large batch of them was kindly donated to the Cause by Jon (thanks!), and I struggled to figure out how many I should include, since they seemed to offer the best chance for unique fluff. 

More on that in a later posting.

Photobucket

Prior to 6th edition, I had not heard encouraging things about large quantities of jetbikes in a tournament... or at all.  However, once I got a chance to see what fast, flying, shooty, slicey, dicey things might do in this new edition, things started looking up, as you might say. :-)  Besides, fast attack units will likely be scoring in one game of a tournament.

Photobucket

I now have 2 large units of these under way.  From a practical standpoint, I need to have some of the bikes look very different from each other.  Now that you take casualties from specific directions, it is very important to know which one is which.  Since I wanted to do all sorts of conversions to them, it was the perfect storm!

Photobucket

As you can see in this test figure, I added a few regular wings to the aft of the bike, as well as a few trophies and bits.  On the ventral side, I added a duplicate cowling to the one on the dorsal side (there are extras of these in every set).

Photobucket

The splinter rifle is magnetized so that I can switch that out.  I will be doing the same thing with the cluster caltrops and grav talons.  I really look forward to painting this guy!  I am also looking forward to chopping up lots of space marine squads!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Putting some of these guys together myself in the next month or so, so really good to see what you're up to with this conversion - cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some fun bases planned for these as well. It will all be one big experiment!

      Delete
  2. Have fun. I shed a lot of blood on my DE. Nice kits, but very spikey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just made this a lot more spikey! Pointy things everywhere... :-)

      Delete